Historic Sites and Landmarks

Kent Island, the first English settlement in Maryland was predated only by colonies at Jamestown and Plymouth Rock. In August 1631, William Claiborne landed here and established an outpost for trading. His founding is acknowledged now only by a historic marker, but the island has evolved into a base of commercial enterprises and residential population for the county. Embraced by the Chester River on the north and the Eastern Bay on the south the Kent Narrows channel divides it from the mainland.


Old Stevensville Post Office
(410) 604-2100
Love Point Road
P.O. Box 321
Stevensville, MD 21666

During the early 20th century, miniature covered wagons and horse-drawn sleighs pulled up to the doors of the tiny Stevensville Post Office so rural route mail carriers could load up and deliver the mail from Kent Island’s Love Point to Kent Point.

As in many small towns, the Old Stevensville Post Office served as a gathering spot for townspeople to share news or pass the time. That little shot-gun-style building, which was first noted on an 1877 map, served as the Stevensville Post Office until the 1950s. Old records show that at one time the government paid rent of $18.75 per month and it cost $25 per year to heat the 730 square foot building.

Situated on the East side of Love Point Road in Historic Stevensville, the Old Stevensville Post Office was acquired by the Kent Island Heritage Society in 1997. Gold in color, gable end to the street, and trimmed with white gingerbread eaves, the Old Stevensville Post Office continues to serve as the society’s headquarters. 

 


Stevensville Train Depot, c. 1902
(410) 604-2100
Cockey's Lane,
P.O. Box 321
Stevensville, MD 21666

*Tours available May - October by request.

This train station was built in 1902, when the Queen Anne’s County Railroad Company extended its western terminus 13 miles from Queenstown to Love Point. A connection was then made at Love Point with steamboats for transport across the Chesapeake Bay.

Passengers, seafood and produce were the main cargos from Kent Island to Baltimore. The return trip, through depots like this, brought clothing, iron products, newspapers, and the U.S. Mail to the Eastern Shore.

The rail system ran for more than 60 miles, from Kent Island to Lewes, Delaware. This structure, typical of the period, was moved in 1988 from its original Stevensville location and restored by the Kent Island Heritage Society.

 


Christ Church, c. 1880
(410)643-5921
117 East Main Street
Stevensville, MD 2166

*Tours available upon request.

A superb example of the Queen Anne style of ecclesiastical architecture and also one of the most carefully preserved Victorian Churches in Maryland, Christ Church, on Stevensville’s Main Street, is an historic gem. Christ Church attests to Kent Island’s importance as the cradle of the Anglican Church in Maryland – being the site of the earliest Anglican settlement in the colony.

The congregation was first established at Claiborne’s settlement at Kent Point in the 1630’s and the present building, constructed in 1880, is the fourth known church to be constructed by the parish. In 1995 the congregation relocated to a new, larger, facility on Rt. 8. Christ Church continues to be used as a house of worship and as a magnificent setting for weddings.

The church is distinguished by a steep slate roof, and an unusual chimney designed in the medieval “lancet” style, and is garnished with simple yet pleasing stained glass windows arranged in three pairs along each side wall with larger arched windows in the south gable behind the alter. The bell tower adjoins the east facade.
The church’s dramatic interior is dominated by the steeply pitched ceiling that rises heavenward above the congregation and is supported by open, stick-style trusses that divide the building into four bays.

The site of the original 1652 Broad Creek Church and Cemetery, located off Route 8 in Stevensville, is currently being restored. The cornerstones of the 1652 church have been unearthed, as well as 12 burial headstones, dating from 1746 to 1903.


Cray House, c. 1839
(410) 604-2100
Cockey's Lane,
P.O. Box 321
Stevensville, MD 21666

*Open Saturdays 1 - 4 p.m. Tours available upon request.

One of the most unique structures on the Eastern Shore, this National Register site is located on a tract of land once called Steven’s Adventure, granted to Francis Stevens in 1694. Built c. 1809, the Cray House is a rare example of “post and plank” construction, where hand sawn logs are mortised and tenoned into vertical corner posts, forming the sides of the building.

It is one of a handful of post-and-plank buildings to survive in Maryland and is also important as a rare survival of the small, two-room plan houses that were a dominant part of the pre-industrial landscape. In this case, the hall-parlor plan had only one heated room on each floor, yet despite the modest size, the house was finished with a full complement of interior trim, including beaded board partition, beaded baseboards, a two-piece hair rail, refined trim and first floor mantel.

The house was sold at public auction in 1914 and was lived in by Nora Cray, a widow, along with her nine children. In 1975 her heirs donated the house and lot to the Kent Island Heritage Society, who have restored and furnished it. The meat house in the rear, although moved to this site, is a rare example of what was once a common feature of houses in the region.


Kent Narrowswas, for generations, a bustling center of commercial seafood processing, with as many as twelve packing houses operating at once, and hundreds of watermen bringing the catch to the docks. Today, the tradition continues and fresh seafood is featured on the menu at unique dining establishments in the area. Marine businesses, dock bars, and events also make "The Narrows" a popular destination for pleasure boaters and tourists.


Queenstownwas the original county seat and in the 18th century was a shipping port of such significance that it was attacked by the British during the war of 1812. A nationally acclaimed golf course and the largest designer outlet center in the state are the current landmarks.


Colonial Courthouse, c. 1708
(410) 827-7646
Route 18 and Del Rhodes Avenue,
P.O. Box 4,
Queenstown, MD 21658

*Tours on request.

First courthouse in county. Simple one-room wooden structure, restored to original state with authentic reproductions.


St. Peter's Catholic Church
Route 50,
Queenstown, MD

*Mass Sat. 5:30 p.m., Sun. 11:15 a.m.

Romanesque and Victorian architecture adorn brick exterior. Interior refinished in colonial tradition with stained glass windows and mid 19th century brass.

 


Centrevillesets a classic example of small town America. Lovers of period architecture can stroll tree lined streets and study good examples, from simple austere colonial homes to gracious Victorian-era dwellings with wrap around porches. The town is the center of government operations and has been since incorporation in 1794, but settlement dates back to the establishment of St. Paul's Parish in 1692. The Episcopal church, at 301 South Liberty Street, was built in the early 1700's at a cost of over 15,000 pounds of tobacco.


County Courthouse
(410) 758-0216
100 Courthouse Square
Centreville, MD 21617

Constructed when county seat was moved to Centreville from Queenstown. Oldest courthouse in the state in continuous use since 1792. Bronze statue of Queen Anne dedicated by HRH Princess Anne.


Wright's Chance, c. 1744
(410) 604-2100
119 South Commerce Street
Centreville, MD 21617

Early plantation house moved from original site patented in 1681. Restored by the Queen Anne's County Historical Society. Collection of Chippendale and Hepplewhite furniture and Canton china.

Tours upon request.


Tucker House, c. 1792
(410) 604-2100
Route 2, Box 310
124 South Commerce Street
Centreville, MD 21617

One of the oldest houses in Centreville. Period furnishings and memorabilia. A "spacious" town house in its day, with 6 rooms, 6 working fireplaces and collection of rose medallion china. Herb garden in back.

Tours on request.


Queen Anne's Museum of Eastern Shore Life
(410) 758-1419
(410) 822-6109
126 Dulin Clark Road
P.O. Box 525
Centreville, MD 21617

The museum is dedicated to collecting, preserving and displaying artifacts relating to the Eastern Shore (home, agriculture, transportation, watermen and related subjects).


Church Hillhad, at one time, as many as six churches in the town, but the name is most likely derived from St. Luke's which sits on top of the hill at the foot of Walnut Street.


Church Hill Theatre, Inc.
(410) 758-1331
103 Walnut St.,
P.O. Box 91,
Church Hill, MD 21623

Queen Anne's County year around Art Deco live theatre. Call to check the theatre's event schedule.


St. Luke's Episcopal Church, c. 1732
(410) 556-6644
Route 19,
Church Hill, MD 21623

Oldest brick church in the state with its original structure, a handsome flemish bond pattern. Built at a cost of 140,000 lbs. of tobacco.


Sudlersvillewas established in the mid-18th century when the Sudler family located at "Sledmore". The town developed around what later became known as Sudler's Cross Roads. Baseball legend Jimmy Foxx was born and raised in this community steeped in farming heritage.


Sudlersville Train Station Museum, c. 1885
(410) 438-3501
101 Linden Street,
P.O. Box 2
Sudlersville, MD 21668

Preserved as museum devoted to history of railroad, Sudlersville and Baseball Hall of Famer, Jimmy Foxx.

Tours on request.


Dudley's Chapel, c. 1783
(410) 604-2100
Benton Corner Road
Sudlersville, 

The oldest Methodist church still standing in the county. A preaching station for Bishops Cooke and Ashbury.


Crumptongrew up in the 19th century around McCallister's Ferry, a rope raft that operated between the noth and south banks of the Chester River.


Wye Mills MDis named after the old grist mill, located on Route 662 in this picturesque village. The Grist Mill's Museum is open for tours daily and grinds the 1st and 3rd Saturday of the month. 410-827-6909. The mill pond and millstream is a great spot for a picnic or a bit of freshwater fishing.

Open April through October, Monday - Thursday 10 a.m. - 1 p.m., Friday - Sunday 10 a.m. - 4 p.m. The mill also hosts 2 fairs yearly in June and October.


Queen Anne's Co. Related Links

Fisherman's Village

Fisherman's Inn - (410)827-8807
Fisherman's Crab Deck - (410)827-6666
Fisherman's Seafood Market - (410)827-7323
3116 Main Street
Grasonville, MD 21638
 
Kent Narrows
WEBSITE

Home |Boat Charters| Gift Certificates | Fisherman's Inn | Inn Menu | Crab Deck |Deck Menu | Seafood Market | Group Events |Weddings History | Directions | Chef's Recipe | Accommodations | Cool Links | Contact Us  | Pictures | Things to See & Do | Free Brochure